Picture
Today is the second anniversary of the passing of my husband, Russell Bell. So many things have happened since that day, and yet it doesn’t seem very long ago.

We were married just short of 9 years, which doesn’t cover a large portion of our lives, but perhaps it was the best portion. Russell had been married twice previously, and I had been married once. In the long interval since we had each lived with another person we’d developed a number of solitary routines, and nothing is harder for a man or woman past the age of 50 to change as the independent, self-reliant life that ensures survival after divorce or loss of a spouse. Yet, Russell managed to adapt almost immediately to sharing his life and small apartment with me. It was a bit harder for me to change – maybe I never really did – but eventually the edges got smoother and the bumps got less bumpy.

I’d measured my decision to marry again with this criteria: what would be the very worst thing that could happen, and would Russell be able to help me bear it? The worst thing that I could imagine was the death of my mother. And when I acknowledged that yes, Russell’s strong arms would be the ones I’d want around me when I lost my mother, I knew I could say “yes” to him.

Indeed, just about six months later my mother passed away unexpectedly. Russ got the phone call from New York, and he came to my office to tell me. This was the hardest thing for him to do – and harder still to bear my grief and pain. He’d gotten to love her too, and he knew instinctively that I needed his own sorrow to lean against, to help me by sharing the pain.

There were other very hard times ahead of us. There was illness for both of us, and financial hardship. Sometimes we argued, sometimes we were silent in stony and cold fury. But I don’t think a single day went by that Russell didn’t try to make me laugh, and he always succeeded. His patience and tenderness were tested by my demands and needs.

He was not, trust me, a perfect man – in fact he was so exasperating at times that it was all I could do to keep from screaming. Not that this would have helped, since he was losing his hearing and would have acted as though he didn’t hear me. His refusal to wear hearing aids was a constant bone of contention. His love of gambling might have been another issue except that I’ve never known anyone so lucky at the slot machines in my life. On more than one occasion his winnings paid for our entire vacation – Las Vegas, Atlantic City, a couple of cruises.

Nothing exceeded his love of good food, which brought him both joy and anguish, except his love of golf. He didn’t just ‘play’ golf, he TAUGHT golf (as he exclaimed over any game we played together). And he did teach me to play and to love the game of golf, as he taught my two sisters. We girls became the “golf sluts” willing to play at any time. He showed such love and patience with me on the courses we played from Las Vegas to the Yukon to the Caribbean and many points in between. And he wrote about golf as well, because he had an endless well of funny stories to share about the game.

I am so lucky to have been found by and loved by Russell Bell. He left me much too soon, and every day I wish that he were here with me.

Comments

08/02/2011 15:54

Barbara, this is very beautiful, honest and from the heart.

You were amazing during the late stages of his illness, which shows how strong and resilient you truly are.

Life deals us cards. You've played yours very well and I'm sure you've got a lot of great hands left in the game.

xxox

Jill

Nico Blue
08/11/2011 05:09

He was stunningly infectious with his humor and goodwill. And i love him for being so good to you. Beautiful memoir, Barbara.

05/31/2015 02:04

Hello there, just became aware of your weblog through Google, and located that it's really informative. I'm going to be careful for brussels. I will be grateful in the event you continue this in future. A lot of other folks will probably be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

06/24/2015 03:03

Good day! I just would like to give you a big thumbs up for your excellent information you've got here on this post. I am coming back to your site for more soon.

06/24/2015 12:58

Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article post. I like to write a little comment to support you.

Even though Hill Climb Racing Hack is effective multiple times which is not detectable by the builders, it is vital to limit using the hack. Coders do notice abnormal action in accounts in case you proceed too fast this may lead to suspension system of your bank account.

06/17/2016 08:59

You can even raid top players here along by making use of various other players and dominate all their investments. The overall game offers some very nice monthly raid incidents too which is fun that can be played. A couple of over 900 monsters here that you can coach and use to struggle battles. You have the opportunity to create your own avatar also. The overall game is on leading mobile platforms such as Android and iOS.

07/07/2016 04:22

There are a variety of guidelines that you can also learn when using these Hack and Cheats.There are always a true volume of guidelines that you can also learn when using these Hack. They are simple means of improving your situation in the overall game and becoming better and an improved player. You will need to however limit your consumption of the cheat because though it cannot be recognized by the overall game, this is a multi player game and other players can record you if indeed they find unconventional activity on your account. The best thing to do is put it to use only when you need free robux or tix.The best thing to do is put it to use only when you need free tix or robux.

Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this blog. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s challenging to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and visual appearance. I must say that you’ve done a very good job with this. In addition, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Firefox. Excellent Blog!

07/22/2016 03:35

The overall game has among the better fleets so that you can race with such as big car brands such as McLaren, Subaru, Dodge, Mitsubishi, Ford, RWB, Scion, BMW, SRT and acura. The more money you make here the better you get and you could choose to upgrade your vehicle for an improved one. The overall game has lots of booster such as NOS also, supercharger and turbo which helps improve the speed of your vehicle and raise the likelihood of you winning the overall game. Racing Rivals works on various systems including Android, windows and iOS phones.

09/02/2016 03:19

Pixel Weapon 3D is one of the very most popular games that folks play on the mobile devices nowadays. This is a great game where players bypass shooting and eradicating zombies and other animals either with the palm or a machine Firearm. This game has a sizable amount of downloads with people attempting their palm at getting rid of these weird animals. From the device Weapon aside, there are a variety of weaponry which you can use to be able to destroy these animals. The only problem is that to obtain these weapons you must have enough gems and gold and also infinite health to go on. When you get a degree of yellow metal and gems when you down load the overall game, these don't last for very long and once they can be fatigued, it becomes very rough to play the overall game effectively. You will find yourself losing almost all of the battles since you will not make any progress. The ultimate way to get unlimited gold, gems and infinite health is to apply the Pixel Gun 3D Cheats. These Cheats are online Hack that want no download whatsoever. This implies you do not need to set up any software for the cheat to work. The Pixel Gun 3D Hack are easy and safe to use and are also very effective.

08/02/2017 04:43

10.0.0.1 Login The default local address for the network router is 10.0.0.1 and this is also a “class A” internet protocol address used by the private network